Fungal infection occurs rarely in healthy people.It occurs when the immune system of the person is depressed due to any medication or due to any immunosupression medications.CAUSATIVE ORGANISMS
- Cryptococcus neoformans or Blastomyses dermitidis
- Histiplasma capsulatum
- Aspergillus fumigates
- Candida and coccidiodes immitis
1. The fungal spores enters the body via inhalation
2. They initially affects the lungs causing vague respiratory symptoms or pneumonitis
3. The fungi may enter the blood stream and causes fungi
4. If the fungus overwhelms the persons immune system,the fungus may spread to CNS
5. The fungal infection can lead to meningitis,encephalitis and brain abscess
- Fever,headache,malaise,meningeal signs and change in the level of consciousness or cranial nerve dysfunctions.
- Symptoms of increased ICP related to hydrocephalus can occur.
- C neoformans and C immitis can cause skin lesions
- H Capsulatum is associated with seizures
- A Fumigatus causes ischemic and hemorrhagic shock.
REFER ENCEPHALITIS FOR MANAGEMENT
Technorati Tags: fungal spores,causative organisms,hemorrhagic shock,skin lesions,clinical manifestations,brain abscess,level of consciousness,immunosupression,coccidiodes immitis,fungal infection,pneumonitis,respiratory symptoms,aspergillus,blood stream,encephalitis,fungi,fungus,inhalation,pathophysiology,malaise